5 Dangers of DIY Roof Installation
Fixing your own roof is never a good idea. Any discerning do-it-yourselfer would advise you against it. Even if you have the time, enthusiasm and confidence, the potential dangers that come with the territory makes it not worth it.
Here's why it's not wise to repair your own roofing system:
- Falling Off the Ladder Regardless of the scope of work, roofing projects always involve a high level of risk. Professionals invest in fall protection kits because they know that they could end up in the emergency room with only one fateful misstep. Hazards hide in plain sight, too; you can't identify and manage them effectively without proper training and extensive experience.
- Botching the Installation Reputable roofing contractors, including West Side Roofing, would say that you wouldn't know whether or not you did a good job until there's inclement weather. Lulled into a false sense of security, you might have to deal with surprise leaks at a bad time.
- Getting the Product Warranty Nullified Rookie mistakes can cost you the product's warranty. Roofing brands don't mind reimbursing repair expenses if there were indeed manufacturing or material defects, but flawless workmanship is a prerequisite. If you inadvertently fail to follow the manufacturer's specific installation requirements, claiming for reimbursement might not pan out.
- Spending More Money If saving on labor is your DIY motivation, you might wind up spending more money on the project if you don't do it right. You can't take advantage of a workmanship warranty if you do the job yourself. And if your home insurance policy doesn't cover non-professional roof repair, you can't make a claim. In the end, you would eventually have to call in pros for help and buy materials again.
- Reducing Your Home's Value Most roofing companies would attest that amateurish work can affect your home's marketability if you decide to sell it later on. Even if you have experienced no leaks since your DIY repair, a professional home inspection can reveal the mistakes you might have made. On the other hand, hiring pros for roof repairs can improve your home's value. Having transferable roofing warranties can also help you sell your home faster and for more money.
Be a responsible homeowner, and leave your roofing needs to a professional roofer like West Side Roofing. Call us at (216) 245-1050 now to talk about roofing problems and get a free estimate in Cleveland, OH. .fl-post-content Posted in Roofing and tagged roof experts, roof installation, roofers